Monday, July 18, 2011

Miss Jelly Bean

On my way to this past Saturday's cook day, my client called to tell me how excited her two-year-old was that Miss Leigh was coming to cook. "Is she going to bring me jelly beans?"

Well now, how could I pass that up? If a tot has you branded as the Bringer of Delectable Treats, then you have a bounden duty to uphold that reputation. So I went to the Jelly Belly cannister and picked out all the pink jelly beans--her favorite--to keep my good name.

But I did leave the family with more than just sweets. While it was stormy outside, I cooked up my own storm inside with the full 4-servings of 5-entrees service. Since one person in the family is a little particular about whole vegetables, I made sure to keep them pretty small. Whereas in a Beef Stroganoff one might see large, lovely slices of Baby Bella mushrooms glistening with gravy, I chopped up those slices to a more easily digestible dice. We still have the flavor and nutrition, but personalized for my client's taste.

Check out this menu...

Fish Filets with Florentine Topping
Fish with a creamy spinach and Parmesan Cheese topping
     Baked Vegetable Rice
     A colorful and flavorful baked rice

Light Beef Stroganoff with Buttered Egg Noodles
A lightened version of the classic: sirloin steak strips with a creamy mushroom and onion sauce served over egg noodles.

Cheese and Vegetable Manicotti
An Italian Vegetarian Pasta with 3 Cheeses and Italian Vegetables in a traditional-style Italian red sauce

Cranberry Glazed Pork
Thinly Sliced Pork Roast topped with a Fruity Cranberry Glaze
      Roasted Green Beans
      Green Beans roasted with Garlic and Onion finished with Balsamic Vinegar

Chili Cheese Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
Chicken Strips, Black Beans, Jack cheese, and Red Bell Peppers in a Mexican salsa rolled in Flour Tortillas and topped with cheese and Picante sauce


This is the real deal, y'all! Enchiladas with Penzey's Spices.
No "spice pack" for this chef or her clients!


Once you start talking with people about their food preferences, you find out little quirks in their cooking to take care of their families. In my family, we fixed pear salad 4 different ways--one with mayo, one with no mayo, one with MiracleWhip, one with no cherry. When at my grandparents, I like to "put on a pot," knowing that my Papa likes his coffee with 1 1/2 packets of Splenda and 2 spoons of creamer. Taking that little extra step to make something special for those in our household is a big way to show them we care.

What little food kindnesses make you feel loved?

No comments:

Post a Comment