Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Double Independence Day Celebration

This Fourth of July, my family had a double celebration: our freedom from tyranny and also Mama's freedom from work a.k.a., retirement! We planned a relaxed cook-out at Carter's Lake in North Georgia. The view was spectacular and the food superb. The lake breeze even cooled our scalding temperatures down a bit.

Now for a few pictures and the menu...

Can you believe this view?

Bottled cokes in our old washtub were a hit.
We should've had more Orange Crush.

Southern Classic Appetizers:
cream cheese and pepper jelly & corn and field pea dip.

Justin (brother-in-law) and Papa enjoying the convo.

Hilary, my sister, had patriotic lanterns hanging all in the pavilion.

The spread with wildflowers.
The Menu
Rib Eye Steaks
Watermelon & Tomato Salad
Asparagus
Potato Salad
Cucumbers
Fresh Corn & Avocado Salad
Garlic Texas Toast

for dessert
Grandma's famous Ranger Cookies
Homemade Peach Ice Cream
Homemade Chocolate Chip Pecan Ice Cream

The guest of honor: my mama!
(With my cousin Rachel, who looks more like her than Hil and I do.)
We are so thankful for those men who had the guts to write and sign the Declaration of Independence. Our celebration was made possible because of their bravery and because of the bravery our Armed Forces still show every day.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I hope your Mama was surprised!!!! I would love to have the recipe for the avocado and corn salad and watermelon and tomato!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely event, and I couldn't believe all the work everyone put into it!! I was semi-surprised! I'll leave it at that!! All I can say is I am so proud of my family and the lovely ways they celebrated BOTH independences!!

    Deana/Mama

    ReplyDelete