Friday, September 23, 2011

Alabama Heritage Cooking Contest

I again had the honor of being a judge for the Alabama Farmers Federation’s annual state Heritage Cooking Contest. This year the theme was cookies. When my friend, Kim Earwood, asked me to judge and told me I’d be sampling about 30+ different cookies, I thought I was dreaming! Cookies are probably my favorite thing to eat.

We tasted many delightful confections, but finally made the decision to award first place to Ms. Dawn East of Cherokee County and her Butter Pecan Bars. These are a perfect treat with the crisp autumn air we’ve been blessed with…early for us down here in the Heart of Dixie! Make some this weekend and your friends and family will think you are quite clever.

Butter Pecan Bars
1 18-oz box butter pecan cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 stick butter, softened
3 eggs
1 8-oz cream cheese, softened
1 1-lb box powdered sugar
1 ½ cups pecans, chopped and toasted

Preheat oven to 300. Mix together cake mix, 1 stick melted butter and 1 slightly beaten egg. Press into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking dish. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add softened butter, 2 eggs and sugar; mix well. Pour over cake mix layer. Top with pecans. Bake for 1 hour. Cool and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment